Thursday, March 3, 2011

Like an African???

So, I'm a preschool teacher ok?... and I don't get too fancy when i go to work because, i mean, i'm around kids all day so what am i getting dressed up for right? Well last week i had done some 2 strand twist in my hair and was wearing a cute lil beanie to work with a few twist out in the front. Ok, well this parent of one of my kids who is Jamaican i mind you... say's "What's that with your head? You look like an African or something!" and proceeds to laugh... I'm like WHHHHAAAT!!!! O_O

Did this women just call me an African because i'm sporting my natural hair?!?!?!? Lord take me higher! why? Because i had to hold myself from giving this woman an ear full about my hair and how proud i was but i don't believe she would have respected that, nor understood. I just couldn't beleive the audacity of this woman... ugh. ok. Stay beautiful ladies! and PLEASE love your hair!

-Gotcurls?

1 comment:

  1. Did it ever occur to you that the comment was more about the beenie than the hair beneath it? I think you are overly conscious of your hair and anything someone says that could be misconstrued as a negative comment about it, you will 'construe'. This ususally indicates discomfort with self but I won't get into that. I wasn't there and maye you are sure the comment was about your hair specifically because of body language, etc. but seeing as how a JAMAICAN woman would be more used to being around natural haired black people than any other nationality in the world (excluding African) I'm pretty sure it was the overall effect of the twists with the beenie that she thought hinted of an African style. Also was this the first time she saw you with natural hair? Because if its not then why would the comment have come NOW? I've just done the big chop myself (even though I loved my relaxed hair dearly) and I'm so comfortable with it that if she had said that to me I would have been scratching my head trying to figure out what she's talking about. I'm Afro-Caribbean by the way. Its just hair. How you wear it is your business. and to NuInfo: The world mussy laughing at you cuz where I come from Black is just about all you gat. Wheteher ya hair kinky or permed (what we call relaxed hair) or weaved or braided. That does not dictate who you are as a black woman. Don't hide behind you hair to reassure yourself that you are in touch with your roots. Do it my disciplining your children, putting a fear of God into them, taking care of your family, loving your parents, working hard to get where you want to go; for those are the trade marks of a true Black woman, not your hairstyle.

    ReplyDelete